Wednesday 7 October 2009

Dumela Clarens

Sorry about not posting anything on Monday! Its hard to get internet here but I will try and have something on my blog Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday every week!

So I'm in Clarens, South Africa now! Its so beautiful here everywhere you go there are these AMAZING moutain views! The town is a lot more western than Maseru and its one of the safest places in South Africa - so it means I can walk around on my own in the day which is really nice because I couldn't in Maseru. It consist mainly of coffee shops and art galleries.....so I'm happy!

I had a great weekend at the Student and Twenties camp the theme was 'Passion' - Passion for Church, Passion for the Nations, Passion for Jesus and Passion for the Spirit. I was overwhelmed a bit though as I was changing place again and meeting more new people and I was extremely tired so it was a lot to take in. The bit that hit me the most was the Sunay morning when we were leaving the camp to go to Dihlabeng church and all the Maseru guys had left (which i was said to say goodbye to them) and I was left with about 25 Basotho people (who I didn't know) all talking loudly in Sesotho and me sitting there waiting for a mini bus - very overwhelming when you are tired!

However when I got to church it was great! God renewed my strength and I really enjoyed it. A young couple from the church - Gareth and Nikki invited me round for lunch with a girl called Rachel and it was lovely I felt really welcomed.

On Tuesday we had a prayer meeting and I actually brought a word - in front of about 15 people who I barely knew! God is definatly breaking fears. I then had a meeting with Gavin (the lead elder) and Gareth to discuss what I will be doing in the weeks I'm here and it looks like I will be very busy which is good.

My week plan -

Monday - Free (Coffee shops and Galleries!)
Tuesday - Prayer Meeting, People of Hope (they go into the townships and visit sick people), Small group.
Wednesday - Helping at Dihlabeng school in the morning and Mapheo (a club working with children in the community) in the afternoon.
Thursday - Same as Wednesday
Friday - People of Hope and Salt and Light (Student and Twenties) in the eve.
Saturday - Thirsty Youth
Sunday - Church meeting in the Morning and Mobilise Church meeting in the evening.

I'm living in a little flat of my own which is attached to an English couple from the church's house they have 2 flats attached to there house the other one an English girl called Rachel lives there which is nice.

I think I will leave it at that for now!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Great reading your blog Maddie and hearing that God is breaking fear in your life. I'm over-whelmed by hearing these things and pray that God continues His good work in you.

Missing you but so pleased you are having a great time.

Lots of love Kirsty x x x x x

Jeni Whitchurch said...

Awesome. Mads sounds like they'll be working you hard. Miss you lots. I'll email you now as I haven't for ages. xx

Anonymous said...

Maddy I flippin love you and am so glad to hear you being so strong in God & just feel really encouraged by your writing that actually we can do things we 'can't' when we do them leaning on God! You're a star & I miss you heaps. Love your writing style by the way. Love in abundance, Deb xxxxx

becky said...

I'm happy to hear you're having a great time. And i feel encouraged after reading that too - i have to do some things this weekend that i feel pretty scared about, but you (and debs comment) reminded me that we can do things we normally would find scary, through God. (And what i have to do is no-where near as big a thing as going to South Africa - so i figure if you can do that, i should at least be able to do this, but God's grace.....) Very much love, xx

becky said...

* sorry, i made a spelling mistake there, which is annoying me... it should have said "by God's grace".. not "but God's grace" xx

Anonymous said...

Sorry I got behind in reading these updates but I'm getting caught up now so you won't have to repeat it all when you arrive. The time is going fast - I'm glad you are getting stuck right in and going for it and sharing words in front of people you don't know!

Liz