Monday 12 March 2007

Life as a Photography Student!

Ok so I said weeks ago that I would talk something about what I actually do on my photography course, so I have decided that i'm gonna explain now!

Well to start with I just want to explain that my course is very conceptual, so all of the photographs we do have to be explained with a deeper meaning and we have to be able to justify in quite a lot of depth why we have taken that photo the way we have. Which sometimes I find very frustrating because I just want to pick up my camera and take photos purely because I wanted to! and nothing else! I do find that it can often suck the joy out of photographing, because if you can't find an idea that is meaningful and interesting enough then it can become this HUGE! chore to find that idea and can become so frustrating! However if you do find that interesting idea it can be soooooooo much fun! Although I do admit the work I do on this course might not be where I want to go when I finish as I LOVE photographing people but because I cant find an interesting idea that I can clearly explain my reasons for doing, which I can use people I have chosen to go another route with my photographs.

So what do I photograph!? my practice at uni is mainly under 2 titles! Autobiography and Narrative, for the last two projects I did (one end of 2nd yr, the other beginning of 3rd yr) I looked at a time in my life that was quite stressful and upsetting for me which was when I was getting bullyed. For the first project I photographed the physical effect it had on me, by photographing the walking journey from school to home. This was horrible for me as the girls would shout insults at me. The way I captured this was I shot the streets as I looked back, as this expressed me looking back at the girls to see how close they were. These photographs were produced in a poster like form with sentences written underneath each photo that expressed my thoughts as I walked. Sentences like 'why cant they leave me alone' and 'only 2 minutes left and i'm home'.

The 2nd project was the mental effect it had on me! during this period I would have a lot of sleep terrors due to the stress of the bullying and I would sleep walk every night in the school term. To express this I had 10 small prints in a line on the wall like a story board, taking the viewer from start to finish of my sleep walk in the night the photos were of places in my house I slept walked, they were blurred as my vision was there but not being use normally cause I was in a dreamlike state!

Now finally the project I am doing at the mo! I am looking at the idea of claustrophobia, as this is something that came up in my last project and I am interested in it as I am effected by this a little! At the moment its a work in progress so I think I will explain what I did when I finish! Also I think I have explained enough about my work already! lol!

I do apologise once again if you cant understand what I just said and if I rambled! I realise this was a lengthy post! but I just felt like I needed to explain what I do as I understand I dont often talk about my photography work!

Thats all I guessXXX

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Very interesting madeleine. Would it help you for your research if you got into a trunk and i sat on the lid for a while....? Do you have pictures of you pictures (!)? If so do post them so we can see what you've done. Speak to you on msn either this afternoon or this evening, or tomorrow afternoon or evening. xx

deb said...

Maddy Maddy Maddy! How lovely to see more frequent blogging coming from you! I'm wanting to have coffee with you right now as I miss you muchly (though saying right now, I'm pretty scuzzy so perhaps it would have to wait, but the desire's there!). I think Jeni's on to something there! I wanna see your pics! Get busy girl - it's not like you have much uni work to do and I believe that surcoming to your friends requests is more important than uni anyhow! Keep up the good blogs x

Becky Fox said...

Maddy, i found that post fascinating! I just wrote a long comment then accidently deleted it, doh! Anyway, to begin with i was thinking i was glad i never took photography further cos i could understand that it would be frustrating having to explain 'why' you are doing everything.. i like to just 'do' things sometimes without having great reasons for it. However, by the end of your post you made it all sound so interesting that i've now decided it's great to have good reasons for taking photos... i agree with the others though, i think you should include some photos on here. x x x