Monday 21 September 2009

Now, Just Now and Now Now…..

You’re probably wondering about the title – well its something funny I have learnt here. If someone says to you I will be over ‘Now’ that means they will be over in the next few days, ‘Just Now’ – sometime today and ‘Now Now’ – I will be coming in the next few minutes!!

 

So week 2 in Maseru…….

It’s been a lovely week, the start was quite chilled - I spent a lot of time reading.  I’ve started to read the Bible – cover to cover, which is going well and through Genesis God has spoken to me a lot about trusting in him and being patient. I’m also reading ‘The Time Travellers Wife’ – very interesting!

 

I helped at Bokeletsa Bana a bit, went to a training session that Outi is leading with the girls on tackling HIV, we had a prayer meeting on Tuesday morning (which they have every week) they prayed a lot for Ha Makhoate. We had family group (small group) which was great – the leader asked Outi if she could do a short talk/testimony on hearing God’s voice and having the courage to bring it in church, the funning thing was he asked her on the spot – that’s how things work here, very spontaneous. She did brilliantly though and we had a great time of response at the end.

 

The weekend was the busiest time of the week – On Friday we went to Ladybrand (which is in South Africa not Lesotho) to help with a school there. The couple that lead the church came from Clarens, they do the school/club every Friday and it’s for the poorer children in the area and its brilliant! The kid’s singsongs, learn about God, play games and they feed them to. Mark also helped with setting up a vegetable patch. It was so enjoyable, this couple work so hard (with not much help) and it was nice to go and support them for the afternoon.

I also brought some traditional SA food there – A meat snack called Biltong, its salt dried meat.

 

That evening I went to Gus and Becky’s for some more traditional SA food – Pap (maze – it’s like porridge and mash potatoes) and Boerwors (some kind of sausage)

Gus and Becky are such a great couple and a huge inspiration. They are a young couple from Buxton with a small toddler (Gideon – so cute!) who moved here a few months ago and they are here for 2 years. They have got so stuck into the church and with such enthusiasm – I know I’m going to learn a lot from them.

 

On Saturday I did a talk for the youth group – I did it on Mary and Martha. It was a really interesting to do a talk with a translator because its something new, in some ways quite difficult because you have to be precise (which for those of you who know me well know that I find that hard! HA) but in other ways it was good because it gives you time to think about what you are going to say next. It was good to see them all respond at the end of the talk.

Sunday we had church and once again the worship was amazing – I heard yesterday that the church had been prophesied over about being a church that would be characterised by there worship – which is so true. Then a few of us went on a spontaneous trip to Clarens because there was this lady who was doing a session on prophecy. It was a great evening, what I enjoyed most was when she asked us to find someone we didn’t know and pray and asked God for words for each other……this scared me imensly but I did it and the picture I got for this lady was right!! This is so encouraging because I’ve never done anything like that before, and I need to do this more often to break through my fear!

 

So before I say bye for another week I thought I would do what Jen asked and talk a bit about how I’m feeling here…….

 

I’m having a whole range of emotions here the main ones are… I feel excited about what God is doing here, and what he is doing in me – I don’t feel worried about things as much and I’m taking every day as it comes which is really out of my character because I’m someone who likes to have a plan and you can’t really here. I feel helpless and upset when we go and visit people in the poorer areas – I don’t speak there language which also makes it hard to talk to them and I feel completely and utterly blessed by God…..he has given me such a great life, family and friends!

 

Ok I will stop now.

ByeX

 

 

 

 

2 comments:

Belinda said...

Maddie...how exciting. Its amazing how God can work in you even though you cant speak the language. Know that God works beyond that, love is shown in action not words. You are making me very homesick reading your blog, I love biltong and boerewors and would so love to be there with you feasting on it! Try a good steak, dried fruit roll and Milo drink in SA before you go...yum yum.

Liz Zelie said...

So exciting to hear your updates, Maddie. Keep them coming! It doesn't matter if you can or can't speak to them, God is going to use you and already is!